Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A nice day at last

Its 52 degrees out right now. The sun is shining. Thank you Lord.
I went outside in my bare feet and sat in the sun on the front porch for a bit. How nice. The snow is finally melted for the most part.

I think I would not do well in Alaska where there is 6 months of darkness. My soul needs light.

I feel like doing something. I don't know what.

I know I need to get the guest room spiffed up and ready.

I think the house needs a good cleaning and then it may be warm enough to begin working on the raised beds again.

I do need to order a semi load of aggregate and three pallets of Portland cement so we can get busy on some stone orders.

I wish I could devise a sort of cover for the drive way where we work so it would protect us from rain and heat. I thought of how it might be done but when I went out to measure I found I needed the cover to be about 3 feet wider than what I was thinking of would cover.

I know of no way to extend it without another plan. I am wondering if I could just go out about 4 or 5 feet from the garage doors and then build my shade area. That way it would not be directly attached to the garage and would not look at funny that it is not as wide as the garage openings.
I have to do this the cheapest way possible. I will think on that for a bit and see.

I finally decided where I want to put my next greenhouse. I had made a garden area to the north of the house and have rhubarb planted there. I did grow a few other things there but for some reason it just didn't seems to work.

There is a spigot right in the middle of the garden so I could actually build my greenhouse right over it and have the water inside. We don't use that spigot for anything else so it would work. Now I just have to decide what size to build.

I was thinking about 14 feet by 40.5 feet, but since I have such a great area to put it, I am thinking about doubling the size. So it would be 14 feet by 81 feet. The cost for the frame would be about $600.00 so I will have to wait until I make and sell more stone. Then there are additional costs, such as the skin, wood, gearbox, and pipe for ventilation of the sides. I would probably be able to build it under $1,000.00 easily.

If I do that then I can revamp my old smaller greenhouse and use it for a brooder house and hen house. It is actually in a good area to fence off for a run for them. It seems like if I think and think, usually I figure out the best way to do things.

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

Very ambitious plans!

lesstaken@gmail.com said...

Dont worry so much I have handeled a lot worse in life. I have my own income , my house (apt) is safe , my babies are happy. Its okay , jesus is with us in every step.

Yes , before I had children I lived in the woods like a gypsy , I came out on the weekends to sell jewelry to university kids in TX.

Hugs , Its okau