Saturday, August 14, 2010

Using my new wringer washer


Today the girls unloaded my new to me wringer washer. Jeff and I cleaned it up and out and set about to wash a load of clothes. The sun was overhead and we ended up sweating like crazy but we had fun. It doesn't take long and I had read about how to fold the jeans and shirts with buttons so they wouldn't break. We rinsed the clothes in two tubs of water. We just used rubber maid totes for the rinse water. We decided that when we move if we are going to do our laundry this way we are defiantly going to put up some kind of shade tent thing.
The wringer works fine as does everything on the washer. The only thing needing done to the washer is a new cord. Its the original Maytag cord, it says Maytag on the plug part. Jeff is going to make a longer cord with either a foot switch to turn the washer on and off or a hand switch. The washer runs unless it is unplugged so if I had a foot switch I could turn it off easier to let clothes soak. I think it will give me something to do once we get rid of so much of our stuff. I may become a laundry queen. My clothes line is right beside where I was washing so what could be handier?

6 comments:

Ma said...

Yay for you on your new washer! I got to use mine for the first time in years yesterday. It is such a handy way to do laundry, I think. We call it fun. Maybe we're strange? LOL

Captain Hook and Lady Crochet said...

Too cool! So, how does it run? Does it jump around and such? You should do a video! haha
Lori

Beautifully Veiled said...

Love it!!!! I'm so glad you posted a picture! Keep us updated on how it is doing, and how you like it! My dryer broke, forcing us to use my wonderful "Amish" clothesline, now just wondering what could be next?!!

Coffee With God said...

How cool is that? I may have to get me one too! :> )

Blessings~
Laura

Jullie said...

Ho! what a beautiful antiques
Does anyone have video of this machine in action? I would love see the clothes go into the rollers.

Yolanda said...

My mother had a double set of laundry tubs next to her washer, and she would start out with hot water in the washer and do the "whites", double rinse and ring them, putting blueing in the last rinse, and then on to the lightly colored items, and then the darker ones and lastly anything badly soiled. She did a whole week's worth of wash with just the water in the washer and two tub fulls and our clothing was always nice and clean. She had a room where this was set up indoors. Of course, that was Northern Indiana, and very cold for a good part of the year.