- 1 cup butter (NOT margarine - original recipe calls for unsalted butter but I've used both)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 40 saltine crackers
- Heat oven to 400.
- Line 12x17 cookie sheet with foil and spray well with cooking spray.
- Layer the saltine crackers on top of the foil.
- Heat butter and sugar on stovetop and heat until gently boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to very low boiling and cook, uncovered, 3 minutes, until the mixture is thickened and sugar is dissolved. (Be careful to avoid burning the butter and sugar- that will ruin the recipe!)
- Pour butter and sugar mixture over crackers and spread evenly.
- Bake 5-6 minutes in oven.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool 3-5 minutes, then sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- As chocolate chips melt, carefully spread into an even layer over the toffee layer.
- Let cool completely (refrigerate to cool more quickly.)
- Break into bite-sized pieces and serve. . . yum!
- Store covered in refrigerator.