A deliciously low calorie meatloaf that will makes a great weeknight dinner idea, this Vegetable and Turkey Meatloaf Recipe is not only tasty, but quite healthy too. Made with ground turkey instead of beef, and loaded with veggies, this traditional American meal gets a healthy makeover.
• 1 1/4 lb ground turkey
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced
• 1 large zucchini, shredded
• 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
• 3 medium carrots, shredded
• 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
• 1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
• 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf sized baking pan with foil.
2. Spray a nonstick skillet with non fat cooking spray. Saute the onion until softened – about 3-5 minutes. Add in the carrots, celery, and bell pepper, and cook for another 3-5 minutes to soften the veggies. Add in the zucchini, mushrooms and garlic and saute about 3 more minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, oats, parsley, egg substitute, applesauce, tomato paste, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in the veggies.
4. Empty the mixture into your baking pan, and shape mixture into a loaf form with your hands.
5. Bake until browned and meat inside is thoroughly cooked – about 1 hour.
6. Remove from oven and let stand about 10-15 minutes. Cut into 6 equally sized slices.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
This is what I am making for supper tonight along with baked sweet potatoes which I will serve with kefir cream cheese. I am baking this in the crock pot. If it starts heating up the house I will put it outside on a table by the door.