Friday, October 3, 2008

Wheat bread mix in a jar (for bread machine)

I found the recipe for wheat bread mix in a jar at Jen's site. She has since closed her site so I am posting a similar recipe for bread mix in a jar for you all. I usually make up 5 or 6 of these and store them in the freezer to easily make bread. I have the machine do the mixing and then after it has risen once, I knead it about five or six times and shape it into a loaf and let rise and bake in the oven. I find that letting it rise twice gives it better texture.
Here is the recipe.

This excellent mix recipe will save you time and money.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
3 cups flour (I use 1c. whole wheat and 2c. white flour)(If you use whole wheat you will want to add 2tsp. vital wheat gluten)
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk powder
1-1/2 tsp. salt
2-1/2 tsp. active dry yeast

Preparation:In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, dry milk and salt until combined. I just use a canning funnel and put it right into the jar. Place inside a one quart jar with screw top lid. Put yeast in a very small ziplock plastic bag and place over flour mixture in jar before adding lid. Label and store in a cool place.

1-1/4 cups warm water (I use warm milk or kefir)
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil

When ready to bake bread, place warm water (I use warm milk or kefir) and vegetable oil into the bottom of the bread pan of your bread maker. Place dry ingredients from jar on top of wet ingredients, reserving yeast for last or follow directions of your bread maker manufacturer. Select White - Light Crust Color. Remove bread from pan after baking cycle and cool on wire rack for 1 hour before slicing. As I stated earlier I just use the dough cycle and then shape and let rise and bake in the oven.

No comments: