Monday, November 29, 2010

Back to the grind

This was a windy and busy weekend. We had turned our 5th wheel around so that the morning sun would shine on the water lines and help so that they wouldn't freeze and also make dumping the tanks easier. Everything went fine except that we had some trouble getting the 5er level. We ended up buying 4 jacks and reinstalling the hitch into the pick up, I think we took it out a bit prematurely, and after working on it two different days I think its level enough to be able to live in it.

Then we found a leak coming from the bathroom into the living area. It only leaked when Jeff took a shower so I accused him of being reckless with the shower head. He promised he hadn't been and upon investigation he discovered a small crack in the bottom of the tub. Oh dear. He right away put a sealer on it and then looked on the net for a replacement tub or a better fix. We have not been using the shower since we found the crack. We are blessed that there is a shower house just a few feet from where we are parked. Anyway, Jeff found a product that is suppose to be great so I will try to find it at a lumber yard today.

Last night when it was time to retire, Jeff stepped on the steps leading to our bedroom and kaboom, the step broke. We knew we were going to have to make new steps so we actually had already purchased the treads to make the new steps. Jeff used a couple of screws to secure the step until this weekend when we can make new ones. The stairs had been weak for quite some time so we had already planned to make new ones with a hinge on them to allow for more storage. I never have figured out why they weren't made that way to begin with. I can put my had vacuum and several other things in that space. There are always maintenance projects no matter where you live if you want to keep your place nice and not let it get run down.

I think a lot of folks don't realize that to keep a home in good shape there are constant maintenance and improvements to make. When we lived in the big house on 16 acres of land it was the same only multiplied many times. We are enjoying the fact that the maintenance on this place is in a much smaller proportion than with the big house. Therefore we have more time to do things and more money to do them with. That has been a huge blessing for us.

Mollie is cleaning out the fridge and Hannah will wash the resulting dishes. I vacuumed the place and in a bit I am going to scrub down the bathroom. I will be using the homemade disinfecting wipes I made, which I love by the way. I even had to add more stuff to the container because I use the wipes, wash them with our other wash, and then toss them back into the container and eventually the liquid was used up. I just took a glass and added some vinegar, tea tree oil, a squirt of dish soap and then about a cup of water, I shook or swirled this and poured it into the container and flipped the cloths over so the bottom ones could be used first.

3 comments:

Yolanda said...

Pesky household responsibilities! :) As always, you sound SO busy!

Beautifully Veiled said...

Love the homemade disinfectant wipes idea!!! So glad that downsizing is working well for you guys!
Blessings,
Linda

debbieo said...

Yolanda,
I am not always SO busy, I just tell you just about every thing I do. LOL
You are the busy one.
I saw a blog the other day and bizzy was part of the title. I thought that was kinda cute.
Linda,
We really do like it here. We were just talking about that last night. I am not sure the girls like it as well as we do. But they at least dont complain.