Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Mezuzah

Bill and Christina went to Israel a few weeks ago and brought back several gifts.  They must of not had to worry about the weight of things or left some clothes there, he he.
One of the things they brought back for us was a mezuzah.  Its a little box that you attach to your door for blessings coming and going.  Its suppose to have a rolled up scroll inside.
This is the information on the paper she gave me.
On the door post of every Jewish house, a tiny parchment scroll is placed in a small case called a Mezuzah which is Hebrew for door post.  It contains the words of Deuteronomy 6:4-9, and continues with Deuteronomy 11:13-21 which emphasizes obedience to God's commandments.  The Mezuzah is a reminder of God's protection of the Jews during the final plague in Egypt, and is a symbol of God's protection in the present.  The home marked by a Mezuzah signals a home where the laws of God reign supreme.  A special prayer is read when the Mezuzah is attached to the right door post of the family home.  As the family members enter or leave the home the fingers are kissed and then touch the Mezuzah a the same time the words of Psalm 121:18 are recited: "The Lord shall preserve they going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and forevermore".

Even though we are not Jewish I think we will attach the Mezuzah to the door post of our home.  It will be placed there as a remembrance that the Jews are Gods people.  I believe I am saved by grace and God protects me and my family because I believe in him and have taken him as my savior.

No comments: