Monday, September 14, 2009

Common Curtesy

Is common courtesy a thing of the past? What is common courtesy? Polite behavior. Excellence of manners. Considerate act or expression.

Have you noticed that politicians, actors, people at restaurants, malls and well everywhere are not courteous?

It dawned on me when I read the headlines about Kane West grabbing the microphone from Taylor Swift when she won an award. Sarena Williams (John Mc Enroe esk) type out burst and the senators outburst at the president that we do not as an American people practice common courtesy.

Why is that? Is it because we have spent so much time teaching our children that its all about them that they think its true? What they want, what they think, its all about me. I don't have to respect others, its all about me. I don't have to be courteous, its all about me. I don't have to be polite, its all about me.

I substituted at the high school a couple of years ago and I remember visiting with a young man who said he didn't have to respect elders unless they earned his respect. I was floored. I grew up learning to respect and be courteous to elders even if I had never met them. There was never even a thought that they had to EARN our respect. They got respect just because they were older.

I know I have taught my children the values my parents taught me. They are respectful and courteous to others. Thank you Jesus.

No comments: