Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Questions answered











My friend Saundra commented with a couple of questions so I will try to answer them here in case others have the same questions.
What is Ezekiel flour and where do you get it?

I make my own version of Ezekiel flour because I don't always have exactly what the Bible calls for in Ezekiel 4:9

Eze 4:9 Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof.

When I am making Ezekiel flour I go to my pantry with a bowl of some sort. I then look through my beans, rice, barley,oats, corn etc. I take some of each 1/2 to 1 cup of each depending on how much I want to make. I take some of any grains I have. I don't use flax or other oily seeds that would make it go rancid. If I want to use them I will put them in when I make bread, (flax). I then grind the beans and grains in my grain grinder and package in a baggie or jar. I keep this flour in the freezer to keep it fresh.
When I bake bread I just add 1/2 a cup or so to my bread dough at the beginning. I feel like this adds more complex proteins and such to my bread.

What is the deal with the yogurt?

I love the taste of homemade cream cheese so I make my own. To make cream cheese I first have to make yogurt. To make yogurt I use my crock pot.

How to Make Yogurt I use the recipe I read on Candy's site.

Making yogurt is easy - especially if you do it in a slow cooker, or crock pot, as shown below...

NOTE: Start the below process in the evening, before you make dinner. This way, your yogurt will be ready the next morning, when you wake up.

INGREDIENTS:

-1/2 cup of store bought, natural, active/live culture, full fat (not low fat or fat free) plain yogurt. (This will be your starter. After your first batch of yogurt, you can use 1/2 cup of some of your homemade yogurt as a starter instead.)

-8 cups of whole milk. Pasteurized and Homogenized is fine, but do not use ultra-pasteurized.

HOW TO MAKE IT

1. Pour the milk into a crock pot, and turn the crock pot on low. Leave it alone for 2.5 hours, cooking on low.

2. Turn the crock pot off, leave the cover on, and let the milk sit for 3 hours.

3. Mix the yogurt starter into the milk.

4. Put the lid on the crock pot, and then fold and put a heavy bath towel over the crock pot to insulate in the leftover heat (leave the crock pot turned off), and go to bed.

6. The next morning, you'll have yogurt waiting for you in your crock pot. :-) Home made yogurt is thinner than store-bought.

7. Pour the yogurt into a container, cover it, and put it into the fridge. Let the yogurt fully cool down to the fridge temp.

8. Then, if you'd like to add fruit to your yogurt, put a few cups of chopped fruit (of your choice) into a blender, and blend. Then mix the blended fruit into the yogurt and return it to the fridge to cool back down to fridge temp.

If you'd like a thicker yogurt, then strain the yogurt through a double layer of cheese cloth, letting the yellow whey liquid drip through the cloth, and into a bowl. Do this for an hour or two, and you'll have a thicker yogurt. Straining the yogurt makes Greek Yogurt.


To make the cream cheese and whey:
WHAT YOU NEED

- One or more cups of plain yogurt. Store bought is fine, but homemade is the best.

- A double layer of cheesecloth

- A juice pitcher

- A fine strainer, which can fit on top of the juice pitcher

HOW TO MAKE IT

1. Put the fine strainer on top of the juice pitcher, and lay the double layer cheesecloth in the strainer.

2. Put the yogurt in the cheesecloth.

3. Cover over the yogurt, by either folding extra cheesecloth on top of it, or cover it with plastic wrap.

4. Place the whole contraption in the fridge for about 24 hours.

5. - The next day - you'll have yellow liquid whey in the juice pitcher, and creamy cream cheese in the cheesecloth.

Store the whey in a jar, and the cheese in a container, and keep both in the fridge. Use the cream cheese as an ingredient in cake frostings, fruit and veggie dips, and as a spread to have on homemade whole-wheat sourdough bread, etc.

Drink a few ounces of whey for tummy upsets. Also pour a bit of whey in with legumes or grains, when you are soaking them overnight. If you'd like to spruce up some oatmeal, then soak your oats overnight in water and 1/4 cup of whey. The next day, drain the oats, add fresh water, and cook them for about 5 minutes at a light boil.

The oatmeal will taste like a good, healthy sour - quite delicious.

I like to add a bit of salt to the cream cheese. I just mix it in when I put it in a container.

No comments: