Sunday, November 13, 2011

When Christians banned Christmas

Although many may say that Christmas is for Christians, history shows that instead of embracing the “holiday,” Christians throughout the years have stood against it. Even the very men that founded America fought to outlaw its observance.

In the 1640’s, the English Parliament discussed enacting a ban on Christmas because they believed that it was directly contrary to Christianity. One of the main reasons that the Puritans believed this was because the holiday was a mixture of “pagan revelry” and Catholic mandates. Being strongly against the ways of Catholicism, many Puritans forbade the attendance of mass in England, from which the name “Christmas” was derived.

In 1647, parliament not only passed a law banning Christmas, but also Easter, Whitsun and all of the special “saints” days instituted by the Catholic church.

When the Puritans (also known as pilgrims) came to America on the Mayflower, they carried with them a desire to worship God in spirit and in truth, and to reject the ways of England. They continued to stand against the mandates of the Vatican, which they viewed as idolatrous. They also despised the way that many celebrated the Vatican-mandated holiday of Christmas by indulging in all sorts of drinking and gluttonous feasting. The Puritans believed these acts blasphemed the name of Christ.

continue reading by clicking here: http://missionarytoamerica.wordpress.com/articles/when-christians-banned-christmas/

3 comments:

Humble wife said...

I am not sure how you feel about Christmas, but this will be my first year not celebrating it.

Funny how my entire life I did something and never questioned the why's.

Jennifer

loves2spin said...

Very interesting. No matter the origins and history, though, I LOVE Christmas as it causes us to stop and reflect on the supreme gift of Son of God. It has always been a great blessing in my life. Without the birth of Christ, there would have been no Easter, no resurrection, no Hope for us. It is fitting that we celebrate the birth of the Son of God. It is also a wonderful, warm, memory-making family time that we treasure. :)

debbieo said...

Jennifer,
The more I study on it the less I even feel I can celebrate it. I agree with Yolanda about the blessing of the birth of our savior but the origions of this particular date of celebration leave me not wanting to celebrate it a this time and in the way it is currently celebrated. I love the Lord and name Him as my savior and never want to do or say or celebrate an event which is not of HIM. I always did the same as you Jennifer, never asking why.