Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Laundry Mousse







One of my very first posts as a blogger was a recipe for homemade laundry detergent. I still love it and recommend it, but I came across an intriguing recipe for homemade laundry mousse a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to try. Actually, I just used up the last of my liquid, so it was perfect timing for me to try making this kind. The ingredients are all the same, it’s just putting them together in a slightly different way.



The texture of this recipe is kind of creamy, almost like a paste. It actually reminds me of whipped butter in appearance and has a fresh smell that I love.

Intrigued as to how I made this? Here’s the recipe that I followed, taken from the Raising 4 Princesses blog:

6 cups water

2 bars Fels Naptha Soap

2 cups Borax

2 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda



I get all of my ingredients at an Amish Dry Goods store that is local, but you can probably find these at WalMart or your grocery store in the laundry aisle.Washing soda is slightly different than baking soda, so just be aware of that before you start. The first step is to take a large saucepan and heat up 6 cups of water in it. In the meantime, grate the 2 bars of Fels Naptha soap and pour them in the water. Heat to almost boiling until your soap flakes are dissolved. Add the Borax and washing soda and stir for about 3 minutes.



Remove from heat and pour into quart sized mason jars (wide mouth), leaving about 1 1/2″ at the top. Let this mixture sit for about 8 hours or more.



As you can see, the mixture does separate as it sits. After this, pour the contents of each jar (do one jar at a time) into a blender and whip it up. On a personal note, I found it easier to pour all of the liquid portion into the blender and then bits of the solid (top) part in gradually. I actually added just a bit of extra water too. Eventually you will get a nice creamy texture like I noted earlier. It almost looks good enough to eat–but please don’t, unless you need to wash your mouth out!! Pour everything back into jars or another kind of container with a lid. Use 2 TB a load.

source: http://quiverfullofblessings.com/category/craftdiy-ideas/

Edited to add: I made this and added about a cup of water while I was whipping it up. I think I needed to add about 2 more cups because its a little stiff. It also didnt dissolve in my wringer washer like I had hoped it would. I am not giving up on it yet though and maybe with a few alterations I can make it more creamy.

No comments: