Monday, June 4, 2012

Making quick breads today

Today I am making what I call quick breads, that may be the wrong term for it if it is let me know.  So far I have made 4 large loaves of banana bread and next up is zucchini bread.  For the banana bread I used this recipe  except I added about 1 T. cinnamon and 1/3 c. brown sugar.  I never put nuts in our breads, don't know why, just never had any so never used them.  I like it when other people bring breads that they have used nuts in I just don't.
Here is the recipe:  http://www.doingmybestforhim.blogspot.com/2012/01/banana-bread-recipe.html

Our garden looks really good and is producing lots of green peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes and the zucchini is starting.  It looks like the cucumbers and okra will be coming on soon too.  The cukes are blooming so any day now.

Mollie is at the grocery store right now buying tortillas so we can fajitas with the green peppers and we have some onions.  She is also going to pick up some  packages of bologna that is on sale for 1.00 a package.  I am going to make bologna salad.  Its similar to ham salad but cheaper.  I have actually never made ham salad.

Here is my recipe for making bologna salad.
Grind up as much bologna as you want to.  We usually make 3 or 4 packages at one time.
Add mayonnaise, and a bit of mustard and sweet relish.  The secret is to add about a tablespoon of sugar, it makes the bologna taste like ham.  This is better if left in the fridge for a few hours to meld the flavors but we can never wait.

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

Sounds like a good day! That is so interesting about the bologna salad. I had never heard of that. :D Do you freeze some of your breads to use later? I usually don't put nuts in mine either. Too expensive! I would rather just eat the nuts if we have some. One nice thing here, is that black walnuts grow wild, and the nuts are free for the taking. They are a bit fiddly to crack and pick, but so delicious. Sometimes if I'm watching a movie, I'll sit on the floor and crack black walnuts.

debbieo said...

I sure do freeze some of the breads for later. They dont seem to last too long on the counter and with making 6 loaves I had to freeze some so they didnt go bad. Plus its nice for when company comes. I pre-slice the breads and then freeze them.