Thursday, June 21, 2012

Todays canning

Mollie picked the garden for me this morning and there was enough okra to make one pint so I made up a batch of the juice and canned the one pint.  At the same time I canned 3 pints of tomatoes.
While I was canning that I had about 4 pounds of zucchini and onions soaking in salt water to make bread and butter pickles.
Then I began canning the zucchini.
As you can see I only have three burners and the space where the pan on the left is, is all the counter space I have.  I use the table a lot.

 I ended up with 7 pints of zucchini pickles.

This is the steam canner I use instead of a water bath. It heats up quickly, can be used more quickly for a new batch and only takes a couple of quarts of water.  I always be sure to keep an eye on the water level especially when I am canning more than one batch at a time.  Don't want to run out and burn up my canner.  If you notice he hole just above he lip of the bottom pan that is where the steam comes out.  Once its coming out of there real good I begin counting my canning time.  I usually add 5 minutes just to make sure I didn't jump the gun.  I really love this canner. 

1 comment:

loves2spin said...

Very nice!