Monday, June 25, 2012

Monkey Butter by Katzcradle

MONKEY BUTTER


5 perfectly ripe bananas, no bruises

1 20 ounce can, crushed pineapple in natural juice (do not drain)

3 cups sugar (I cut the sugar in half as per a suggestion from a facebook friend and I am so glad I did, this stuff is really sweet.)

1/4 cup coconut, (I used sweetened shredded), finely chopped

3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice

pinch of salt



Put pineapple in pot. Slice bananas directly into the pineapple. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens, takes about 30 minutes. Fill sterilized jars, and process in for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Remove from bath and let cool for 24 hours before removing bands and labeling. Enjoy!

I had won 6 months worth of bananas from Dole several months ago.  The coupons expire at the end of this month and I still have 6 more to use.  I think I will make this so I dont waste my coupons.  Great timing.

I ended up getting 28 pounds of bananas with my coupons.  Today I made 5 batches of this monkey butter.  I am so glad I cut the sugar in half, it was plenty sweet.  This evening we had some on some ice cream and I must say it is wonderful.  It tastes like a banana split only better over vanilla ice cream.  Tomorrow I will make another 5 batches to use up my bananas.  This stuff is really great. July 2, 2012
July 3, 2012 I am canning another huge batch of Monkey Butter.  This should be enough to give away and last us for a couple of years.   I also need to can a couple of quarts of tomatoes when i get this done before the tomatoes go bad.  I love canning and would really love it in a bigger kitchen but that may just be a dream.

No comments: