Friday, July 2, 2010

Crock pot yogurt recipe

Edited to add: I had forgotten that when I make this it is usually too runny for my tastes. I always add 2 or 3 tablespoons of gelatin to some cold water and add that at the same time I add the yogurt. I forgot to do that last night so this morning I softened the gelatin and added it to the crock pot. I will let that sit for about another 30 min. or so and then I will put the yogurt into a container and place it in the refrigerator.

http://myblessedhome.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-yogurt.html#article
Making yogurt is easy -
especially if you do it in a slow cooker, or crock pot, as shown below...

NOTE: Start the below process in the evening, before you make dinner.

This way, your yogurt will be ready the next morning, when you wake up.

INGREDIENTS:-1/2 cup of store bought, natural, active/live culture, full fat (not low fat or fat free) plain yogurt. (This will be your starter. After your first batch of yogurt, you can use 1/2 cup of some of your homemade yogurt as a starter instead.)
-8 cups of whole milk. Pasteurized and Homogenized is fine, but do not use ultra-pasteurized.

HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Pour the milk into a crock pot, and turn the crock pot on low. Leave it alone for 2.5 hours, cooking on low.
2. Turn the crock pot off, leave the cover on, and let the milk sit for 3 hours.
3. Mix the yogurt starter into the milk.
4. Put the lid on the crock pot, and then fold and put a heavy bath towel over the crock pot to insulate in the leftover heat (leave the crock pot turned off), and go to bed.
5. Dont know what happened to number 5 she skipped from 4 to 6. Doesnt matter really.
6. The next morning, you'll have yogurt waiting for you in your crock pot. :-) Home made yogurt is thinner than store-bought.
7. Pour the yogurt into a container, cover it, and put it into the fridge.
Let the yogurt fully cool down to the fridge temp.8. Then, if you'd like to add fruit to your yogurt, put a few cups of chopped fruit (of your choice) into a blender, and blend.
Then mix the blended fruit into the yogurt and return it to the fridge to cool back down to fridge temp.

If you'd like a thicker yogurt, then strain the yogurt through a double layer of cheese cloth, letting the yellow whey liquid drip through the cloth, and into a bowl. Do this for an hour or two, and you'll have a thicker yogurt. Straining the yogurt makes Greek Yogurt.

This is the recipe I use. I found it at Candy's Keeping the home blog. I have also found it on the web.

Thanks for the apricot pie filling recipe Yolanda.

5 comments:

Captain Hook and Lady Crochet said...

I have been dying to make homemade yougurt! LOL...you try it first Debbie! Let me know how it goes! haha

debbieo said...

Lori,
I make it all the time. This is an easy recipe.
I always use just a bit more yogurt to make it thicker.
I thought it would be good with the apricot nectar I canned the other day.

Captain Hook and Lady Crochet said...

Ohhh! I bet it would!

Yolanda said...

You're welcome! Thank you for this and also for the update! Years ago, I made yogurt with powdered milk and would always add some extra to make it thicker. The gelatin is a great idea.

debbieo said...

Yolanda,
I used store milk 2% and I wish I had used non instant powdered milk. Its fat free and thicker. Next time I will do that.