Saturday, July 10, 2010

First Farmers Market of the season

Today was the first farmers market of the season. I love the farmers market. We took our soap, body whip, gardeners hand scrub and some aloe vera cuttings. I sold a fair amount and am pleased.

I also spent $5.00 on cucumbers and yellow and zucchini squash.
There were 6 or 7 vender's there which is about normal for Guymon. For some reason the powers that be don't want to have crafts there. I think anything that draws people to down town should be welcome. If they wanted to they could have a free craft fair once a month and it would surely bring people in.

I managed to get in because I sometimes make goats milk soap. The lady that I buy my goats milk from sells goat meat, milk and eggs there.

I like to go to the farmers market because it only lasts from 8am to 11am and I average out a fair amount of sales. I was a bit worried today because it was the first one of the season but there was a pretty good turn out.

5 comments:

Ma said...

Glad your first day went well. I'm surprised it is the first day, so late in the season!

Beautifully Veiled said...

So glad you had a good day! I also did our market today, for the first time in over a year. I used to sell my wrap skirts there, but quite honestly haven't had the time to make enough!! So this time I went with bread! 31 loaves of home ground wheat bread, 2 styles, and 4 batches of cinnamon rolls. Next week I'll be taking lots more cinnamon rolls! My "artisan" whole oat bread sold out, the cinnamon rolls sold out, and I had enough honey-wheat left for the family for a couple of days, plus a couple of customers. I'm definitely heading back! I'll be praying for your soap sales! (and everything else you need to sell!!)
Blessings!
Linda

debbieo said...

I know ma, and they begged to get it started this soon. Silly people who make the rules but dont garden.
Linda,
They wont let us bring baked goods because of the inspecter. One year he almost closed down the whole market because the bread wasnt made in an (inspected) kitchen. I think that is silly. What about bake sales and such? But I dont make the rules. I am going to make some suggestions next week though.

Yolanda said...

I hope it all works out! Farmer's markets are such a blessing! Glad to know you had good sales!

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

So glad to hear that all went well on the first day. Our Farmer's Market here goes from May to October.

debbieo - our market venders can sell homemade goodies, but on the label it has to say it was made in an UNinspected kitchen.

Good luck at the next one!

Blessings~
Laura