Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Picnic-Perfect Tuna-and-Macaroni Salad



Picnic-Perfect Tuna-and-Macaroni Salad
Photo by: Photo: Mark Thomas; Styling: Stephana Bottom
YIELD: Serves 8
COOK TIME:7 MINUTES
PREP TIME:15 MINUTES
COST PER SERVING:$.80
COURSE: Main Dishes, Salads
Ingredients
Salt and pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 carrot, grated
1 12-oz. can tuna in water, drained
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. cider vinegar
Preparation
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
2. While pasta is cooking, combine celery, onion, parsley, carrot and tuna in a large bowl. Add cooled macaroni and toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and whisk. Pour over pasta and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
Calories: 312
Fat: 4g
Saturated fat: 0.0g
Protein: 18g
Carbohydrate: 48g
Fiber: 3g
Cholesterol: 19mg
Sodium: 520mg
All You MAY 2010

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deeeeeeeeeeeebbie, I seen this, and thought of you right off.
Here is an idea for your herbs :)
http://momsbyheart.net/10-herb-garden-planter-ideas/

debbieo said...

Renee,
I love these ideas, I have thought of the pocket idea to try and the pallet idea, but I am going to be on the lookout for the cups. I was thinking why not use plastic cups? I think I can get them for a song at garage sales or the thrift store.
I like the idea of being able to move them if necessary. I was also thinking that if we had to go out of town for a few days I could take them down and set them in a container of water to wick up from the bottome so they wouldnt die.
Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

Cups would work :)
Which button, my blog link button?
I made it with paint shop pro, if you'd like one I can make ya one :)
Just let me know what you'd want for bg,and color.

debbieo said...

Renee,
Yes, your blog button. Can you make me one with the pix of my house and 5th wheel?
Then I will put your button on my blog and you can put mine on yours.
That would be so nice of you.
debbieo