Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Its too hot to can

     Yesterday I pressure canned 3 pints of taco meat and 3 pints of sloppy joes.  Then I steam canned 5 pints of pickled okra and 1 quart of pickled jalapenos.  The temparature in the camper got up to 95 degrees and took all day to cool down to the 80's.  I think I am pretty much done with canning everything except things I can steam can until we get into the new house.  Its just too hard on me in this heat.
      I love to can and worry about the rising prices so I wanted to can as much as I could while we could still afford to buy the food but I think I am just going to have to say I am done.
Maybe when we get moved and settled the prices wont be too bad and I can find a local butcher shop and can some more meat.  I love home canned meat, it is so much tastier than store bought canned meat and if you live too far away from the stores its a good thing to have on hand.
     Once we get moved I want to start a garden using Christinas method of burying buckets that have the bottoms cut out.  I will try the winter crops in them and see how they do.  There is a small greenhouse at the new place which will come in handy to start seeds.  I wont be needing to grow anything in it because of the mild weather we have around here.
     The new house is on a lake so there may be some difference in temperatures there with the water so close. 
      Here is a picture of the house we are buying.
And here is the small greenhouse.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Looks like a nice place!

I've never heard of canning meats. You've got me curious now!

I love cooking ahead:)

loves2spin said...

Oooooo!!!!!!!! You're buying a house! I am SO excited for you!

debbieo said...

Thanks Yolanda, we are pretty excited too.
Debbie S. I wrote a little blog post about canning meat and my experience with it.
Thanks for the comments.
Debbieo