Homemade Flour Tortillas
Serves: 12 6-inch tortillas
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbls shortening
- ¾ cup water
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together with a fork.
- Add shortening and continue mixing with fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the water.
- Slowly incorporate the dry and wet ingredients until dough starts to form.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead for several minutes until dough is nice and smooth.
- Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into quarters and then each quarter into thirds for a total of 12 portions.
- Roll out each portion into a 6-7 inch circle.
- Cook the tortillas in a skillet over medium-high heat for about two minutes on each side or until puffed and lightly browned.
- Remove to a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Mom On Timeout at http://www.momontimeout.com/2013/04/easy-homemade-flour-tortillas-recipe/