Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pickled Beets

A lady at church makes the best pickled beets.  I asked her for her recipe and she brought the booklet.  Its in an old Kerr booklet.
Here is her recipe.

Pickled Beets
Cook small fresh beets until tender.  Dip into cold water to stop the cooking process.
Make syrup
4 c. sugar
2 c. water
2 c. strong white vinegar
1 t. cloves
1 t. allspice
1 T. cinnamon (use the stick cinnamon and grind to powder)
Pour syrup over beets and boil 10 minutes.  Pack into clean sterilized jars and seal at once.  She said the jars just seal when she adds the hot liquid but I think I will process them in my steam canner for 10 minutes just to be safe.

Jeff told me as he was eating her beets that this was the way he wants our beets to be made.  I sure am glad she shared the recipe with me.  Thank you.

No comments: