Friday, September 16, 2011

Almost a year

Last year at this time we were finishing up selling and giving away most of our belongings. I just realized it has been almost a year since we moved into our 5th wheel. I don't think I ever would have thought we would do it.

The girls lived in here with us for 8 months until we bought another camper and moved them right next to us. Now I wonder how we did it when they were in here with us.

I guess that goes to show how you do what you have to do and then later when you look back you wonder how you ever did it.

I think we should have some kind of celebration marking our breaking free of the mortgage chains. When we sold our home last year we were able to pay off the mortgage, some credit cards and our pickup. Now we have a bit of credit card debt and the 5th wheel left to pay for. We are socking it to those debts so that one day we can say we are debt free. We are so looking foreword to that day.

We took the Dave Ramsay financial freedom course and that is pretty much what started it all.
We are snowballing our credit card debt and then we will snow ball the camper debt.

We got into the credit card debt when Jeff was out of work for 6 months and we used it more than we should have.

We paid cash for our car and then for the second camper. Actually we borrowed some for the second camper from Mollie but we are paying her back as well as saving for ourselves. We are saving so that when we need another car we will have cash to pay for it.

Once we learned to save up before we bought things it has really changed the way we look at stuff. We don't need nearly as much stuff as we once did. Also living in the 5th wheel helps bring on the reality of not acquiring too much because there just is not room for too much stuff. I admit we still own more than we should but as I look around we use everything we have. Except for some of the decorations on the walls.

I do try to continually go through things and get rid of stuff we don't use. One thing I think I need to go through again is my clothes. I have far fewer clothes than ever before but I tend to wear the same things over and over.

Every now and then I go through my food cabinets and rearrange them and its time to do it again. I like to take stock of what I have on hand and what I think I need to get.

September 27th is the day we officially moved in to our 5th wheel, time sure has flown.

1 comment:

Humble wife said...

What a great testimony to how it can be done! Woohoo on your one year change for ever!!

Jennifer