Saturday, January 24, 2009

How much should we spend on groceries?

Since I have begun keeping track of what I am spending on groceries, I have been looking around at other blogs to see what other ladies spend.

The government says that for a family of 4 a low cost meal plan would cost 167.00 per week. The welfare folks get 21.00 per week per person or about 3.00 per day. The low cost plan would allow 668.00 per month for 4 people. The welfare allotment would allow 336.00 for 4 people for a month. The low cost plan seems plenty high to me and the low cost welfare plan seems just a bit tight. I will continue to keep track of what I am spending so I can see what for our family of 5 would be the right amount. Right now its kind of like a family of 4 because Jeff is in Tulsa and I am not keeping track of what he is spending for food.

Many of the ladies spend 400.00 per month for a family of 4, but their kids seem to be very young. So I guess the trade off in more food is balanced out with the purchase of diapers and wipes.
Some ladies spend 400.00 to 500.00 per week. That seems excessive. I am wondering what they are buying? Maybe its all processed and pre-packaged meals.

I am trying very hard to cook almost all from scratch. That seems to be a huge money saver. So does making a menu plan and following it. I have had fits and starts doing that. I want to really bad. But it seems like when I do, then when its time to fix a meal I am hungry for something else. Maybe that is a sign of no self control. Always giving in to what I want. I will think of it as a discipline and try again. I will post a menu plan later and we will see how it goes.

One lady said that she starts planning her menu's by thinking of what she already has on hand and then goes from there. I think I will try it that way. Wish me luck.

No comments: