Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yummy veggie burgers


I use my rice cooker for this.

Rinse 3 1/2 c. lentils

and 1/2 c. rice

Place in rice cooker with 7 cups of water (I find that brown rice and lentils take more water or they end up hard)

When the lentils and rice are done, place them into a very large bowl.

With a stick blender blend and moosh the lentils. This doesn't have to be completely mashed.

Add 1 c. chopped walnuts

4 eggs

2 t. oregano

2 t. cumin

12 -15 chopped cloves of garlic

2 onions (diced)

2 c. wheat germ (I use freshly ground wheat flour)

4 T. olive oil

salt

pepper

Mix well. Form into burgers and fry in olive oil for 3-4 min on each side. This makes about 30-32 burgers. I fry what I need for the meal and make the rest into burgers. Layer on a cookie sheet covered with parchment or wax paper. Place in freezer for a few hours. When frozen, place into a freezer zip lock bag. Then you can take out how many you need when you need them. My kids love these. Me too.

A frugal meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to trye this
i suppose I could put "herbed se provence" instead of oregon...
I will share my results!