Friday, August 20, 2010

Marching on

This is an example of the type of shelve we will be building. Our shelves will be wider and fill both sides of the trailer.
This is an exampl of an enclosed trailer.

Yesterday I completely cleaned out my gift closet. I boxed up to sell several boxes of new in the box gift sets. I always buy gifts at the after Christmas sales for 1/2 off or less so I have a supply of gifts on hand at all times. Well that won't be the case anymore. I kept very little. Some I boxed up and gave to a friend who I thought might enjoy them.




Later a another friend came over and I went through lots of my blown glass, serving pieces and froo froo as she called them. She ended up taking quite a bit home with her. Yeah. I kept most of the blown glass because Hannah's dad made it and I wanted to save it for her when she is grown.




Then another friend came over and we cleaned out my huge china hutch and another very large cabinet where I stored all my (fancy) dishes and serving ware. I ended up with several boxes of glass I just couldn't part with but I also was able to get rid of quite a lot of stuff.




I am coming to the realization that if I don't use stuff, what is the use of having it around? If its something I use once or twice a year is it worth having around? If its a keepsake or something I bought on my honeymoon, then of course I am keeping it, but if its not regularly used then out it went.




I am probably keeping more than I realize. I am also finding out that my house is incredibly dusty. Goodness. I hadn't realized it was so bad. Maybe when I have less stuff I can take better care of it.




Tomorrow we are heading to Oklahoma city to buy an enclosed trailer. When we get it home we will build shelves along each side. I will then be able to begin loading it up with totes of things I think I just cant part with. This will enable me to see just how much stuff I am wanting to keep and be able to decide if I am doing pretty good with the purging or if I need to be harder on myself.




Each room that I pack and purge then has to be rearranged to allow it to once again look nice. I like to keep the place looking presentable. I know that is not completely possible but when we are able to take totes and boxes to the trailer it will help.




We also have another enclosed trailer that we are filling up with boxes of things we want to take to an auction house. We may end up having more than one load. Its a 12 foot trailer and it holds quite a bit of stuff. The trailer we are looking at to buy is a 24ft. model. I figure if I need more storage than that, I better think again.

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

It's a huge job, but a wonderful way to clean house! Sometimes, I like to take everything, say, out of the kitchen, for instance, pretend I have nothing and then go "shopping" amongst my belongings to see what I really need. The one thing I would really like to get rid of is my "good" dishes. I rarely use them. They are Pfaltzgraff and very nice, but I can't, because my husband bought them for me and I know it would hurt his feelings. Those will stay. :) Good luck with all of this. You, as always, amaze me.

debbieo said...

Yolanda,
I got rid of my "good" dishes, luckily they were only clear dishes from wal mart. I did keep a few that were actually worth something or crystal and such. I didnt have much that is worth anything which is good.
That is a neat idea to shop and brings things back in as you need them. I finished the dining room except the buffet and then its on to the kitchen.

Yolanda said...

So, how is it going now? Have you finished going through everything? If so, I bet if you went through it again, you would find another small layer of expendables. I've always found that "de-junking" is kind of like peeling an onion. :)

debbieo said...

Yolanda,
I am far from being done. We have a huge house and I have managed to fill it up.
I did buy a 30 ft. enclosed trailer today so we can start building shelves and loading it with things we want to keep.
I removed that video. I consider you a friend and would not want to offend you if I can help it.