Sunday, August 29, 2010

New sectional for the rv

When we bought the 5th wheel it had a smallish couch with a bed in it and a booth/table set up. I didn't like how it looked like every other RV, Sooooo, I got out the screw driver and took it all apart. We brought the couch (very cheaply made) into the house and it only lasted a few months. The booth/table set up I discarded except for the cushions. The table and posts I put in the storage part of the RV in case it was ever needed. The bottom part that the legs stuck down in unscrewed and there was no hole or anything so that was good. It was on the carpeted area.

We then purchased a folding table and folding chairs. Also a set of wood TV trays and 3 outdoor type chairs. This set up worked OK for when Jeff was working out of town and living in the 5er.

Now that the whole family is going to live in the 5th wheel I wanted more and better seating. I found a neat place to order a sectional that comes in boxes and is easy to put together. After numerous measurements and thinking I believe I have the ideal combination. It will be a super long couch made up of sectional pieces with a ottoman on one end that makes that end look like a lounge chair. I ordered 6 fabric samples so I can make sure which fabric I like the best. They have over 100 kinds to choose from.

I have a small end table I bought for $5.00 at an auction while I was still in high school and a friend refinished it and I wanted to keep it. I didn't want to store it, I want to use it. If my measurements are correct, there will be room at the end of the sectional for the table with 2 inches to spare.

We decided to take the table out and just put the big long sectional all the way across the slide out. I asked Mollie if she would rather have a table and chairs or more sofa space. She said more sofa space. We will still have the table and chairs so if we want to rearrange at some point we can. In the mean time we plan to eat off TV trays. The table is actually adjustable so if need be we can use it for a coffee table or kitchen table. Just by making adjustments to the height.

I have a nice kitchen cart I have been using in the 5er for more storage and counter space.

Oh, I forgot the best part. Each piece of the sectional has storage in the bottom. Some reviews said it was a little harder because the foam cushions set directly on wood instead of springs but I think the extra storage space will be worth the trade off.

This is the web site I will be ordering from:
http://www.homereserve.com/index.cfm

The girls room is a bunk house meaning there are four bunks. There is precious little space between the bunks. You cant even raise your arms with out hitting one of the bunks. My challenge is to make that space livable and comfortable for two teenage girls. After much thinking, ideas, discarding ideas, and such I think I have a good plan for that space.

On one side the bunks are bigger than on the other so, obviously the girls sleep on the big side. I took the cushion from the top bunk and put it along the back of the bottom bunk to form a sofa like thing. Its not too comfortable but when I get a bunch of pillows I think it will be OK. Next, I plan on removing the small top bunk. It rests on a rail which is just raw ugly wood so I will find some nice trim to change it out with. Then I want to install a book shelf all along the side.

This will leave a more open feel to the bunk room. For extra storage I will be shopping for rectangular baskets to slide under the beds. This will allow storage for the girls for more clothes. Clothes was the one thing they didn't want to get rid of. Old toys, and such, OK, but they wanted to keep lots of clothes. They did get rid of a lot but they will still need more storage than the cabinet between the two bunks.

As I complete these changes I will post before and after pictures for your viewing pleasure.

2 comments:

Beautifully Veiled said...

Pictures??? I love pictures!! So ya'll are really doing it! What the rest of us just sort of think of but never do, huh??? I think I may be missing some pieces of this puzzle, but I'm sure enjoying what I'm reading!!! Have fun!
Linda

Yolanda said...

Sounds exciting!