Saturday, April 16, 2011

Make your own pumpkin pie spice


  • I found this on a blog called living on food stamps. Although its not pumpkin pie season I wanted to post this so I could have it on file if and when I need it. These are her words, not mine.

  • Pumpkin Pie Spice is obscenely expensive. And we are fast approaching Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin 'Everything' season so whattaya do (that was a rhetorical question)? I'll tell you what I did: I went to a Dollar Store and bought 2 oz. jars of each: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, All Spice & Ground Clove for $1 each.

  • Total: 10 oz. of spices for $5. 1.12 oz. For $4.98 This is what pumpkin pie spice costs where she lives.

  • Pumpkin Pie Spice #1

  • 1/4 cup cinnamon

  • 1 Tbsp. allspice

  • 1 1/2 tsp. each ginger and nutmeg

  • 1 tsp. cloves


  • #2 Pumpkin Pie Spice

  • 1/4 cup ground cinnamon

  • 1/8 cup ground ginger

  • 1 Tablespoon nutmeg

  • 1 Tablespoon ground cloves


  • #3 Pumpkin Pie Spice

  • 1/4 cup ground cinnamon

  • 2 tbsp ground ginger

  • 2 tsp ground cloves

  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg

  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)


  • Apple Pie Spice

  • 1/4 cup ground cinnamon

  • 1 tbsp ground allspice

  • 2 tsp ground nutmeg

  • 2 tsp ground ginger

  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)

  • Combine all ingredients and seal in ziploc or vacuum seal bag (or jar). I like to quadruple the recipe & store it in a Jelly Canning Jar. Let me know what you think.


  • http://livingonfoodstamps.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-09-13T14%3A55%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

1 comment:

Yolanda said...

What a great idea!