Thursday, June 16, 2011

I have a grand idea.

I have this grand idea. My daughter is pregnant and is due in December. I know its hard to take care of a new baby, clean and think of meals to cook, let alone cook them. So I thought, what if I could make up meal kits that are non perishable, place them in a 5 gal. bucket and take it to her when the baby comes. I could have all the ingredients packaged together and recipes to go with them.

I am now in the process of putting together a list of meals I could do this with. I also thought this would be a good emergency kit to have as a grab n go or keep in the car or pick up. You would also have to have a means of cooking if you wanted to use this as a grab n go kit. For that I would make a #10 can stove to store along side of my grab n go bucket.

I have included bottles of water needed just to cook the meals in my list. A better alternative would be to have a couple of gallon jugs of water (cheaper) by your grab n go bucket beside your #10 can stove. I think I would also put a set of those disposable salt and pepper sets that come already filled for picnics. Also paper plates, paper towels, and plastic utensils.

Also if this were my grab n go bucket I would add a few things like a metal spoon for cooking, cups/glasses and some beverage mixes. I think it would end up having to be stored in a tote instead of a bucket because of trying to be all inclusive.

Here are a few meal ideas I have come up with so far. Help me out with your ideas.

#1 tuna/noodles ~1 can tuna, 1-2 c. egg noodles, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of sweet peas, use the water from the peas to dilute the soup, salt, pepper and bouillon.

#2 chicken/noodles ~ 1 jar chicken (I can my own so I would use that), 1-2 c. egg noodles, chicken bouillon, 1 bottle water, salt and pepper.

#3 beef stew ~ 1 jar stew meat ( I can my own so I would use that), 1-2 can potatoes, 1-2 can mixed vegetables, 1 package biscuit mix.

#4 pork chili ~ 1 jar pork meat, 1 jar tomatoes, 1 can green chilies, 1 c. dried re fried beans, 1 or 2 bottle(s) water, tortilla mix to make tortillas.

#5 beef/noodles ~ 1 jar beef meat (I can my own so I would use that), 1-2 c. egg noodles, beef bouillon, 1-2 bottles water.

#6 Mexican casserole ~ 1 jar beef or pork cubes (I can my own so I would use that), 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 c. cheese powder, 2 T. taco seasoning, Frito type chips.

#7 beans & corn bread ~ 2 cans or jars pinto beans, 1-2 package corn bread mix, powdered egg for corn bread mix if called for, (I haven't used these for years so I cant remember what you need to make them), 1-2 bottle water, honey to put on corn bread. I am having a friend save her baby food jars for me so one of them filled with honey would be just about right for one meal.

#8 creamed dried beef on biscuits ~ 1 jar dried beef slices, powdered butter and milk to make a white sauce, biscuit mix.

#9 chicken n rice ~ 1 jar chicken (I can my own so I would use that), 1 can cream of chicken soup, chicken bullion, 1-2 c. rice, 1-2 bottle(s) water.

#10 potato soup ~ instant potatoes, powdered milk, powdered cheese, celery salt, salt, pepper, 2 bottles water.

#11 tuna or chicken or salmon patties ~ 1-2 cans meat desired, powdered egg, 1. cracked wheat cooked or cooked rice (you would have to cook this obviously), rosemary, garlic salt.

#12 Taco Soup ~ 2 cans beans, 1 c. dried beans (we use these for refried beans), 1 jar diced tomatoes or can, 1 can corn, 1 1/2 T. chicken bouillon, 2 T. taco seasoning, 1/4 c. dried cilantro.

#13 Chili ~ 1 can prepared chili, 1-2 can beans, 1 can or jar tomatoes.

#14 Ramen Lentil Salad ~ 2 pkgs. Ramen noodles (crushed), 1 c. cooked lentils, 1 c. cooked rice (you can cook the rice and lentils together), mandarin oranges, 1/2 c. mung beans (sprouted, obviously this needs to be done 4 days in advance), chicken chunks, Italian dressing.

#15 Spaghetti ~ 1/2 pkg. angel hair pasta, 1 jar/can spaghetti sauce, baking mix (to make bread sticks), garlic.

#16 Macaroni & Cheese ~ 1-2 c. macaroni, powdered milk, powdered cheese, butter buds, 1-2 bottles water.

#17 Chicken n dumplins ~ 1 jar/can chicken, chicken flavored bouillon, bisquick mix, water.

#18 Sweet & Sour chicken over rice ~ 1 jar/can chicken, 1-2 c. rice, 1 jar sweet & sour sauce.

#19 Bar b que chicken sandwiches ~ flour, yeast, sugar, etc to make buns or bread, 1 jar/can chicken, 1 bottle bar b que sauce.

#20 hot pork sandwich ~ 1 jar/can pork, brown gravy mix, instant potatoes, biscuit mix. Eat like a hot beef sandwich.

#21 Pork gravy and fried potatoes ~ 1 jar/can pork, brown gravy mix, 1 jar potatoes, olive oil, salt & pepper.

#22 Goolash ~ 1 lb. macaroni, 1 jar spaghetti sauce with meat, 1 can tomatoes or rotel.

Breakfast Ideas
#1 Biscuits and gravy ~ 1 package pepper gravy mix, bisquick.

#2 Oatmeal ~ Oats, butter buds, powdered milk, raisins or other dehydrated fruit if desired, brown sugar and salt.

#3 Pancakes ~ Pancake mix (just add water) butter buds, coconut oil (mix butter buds and coconut oil together for spreadable butter) and syrup.

#4

3 comments:

Teri said...

Wow! That is an awesome idea... I tried to think of something to add, but couldn't come up with much different than you already had.

Yolanda said...

Good thinking!

pastorbill_76 said...

I like this Meema. Thanks! When we get ink I'm going to print it off and have it in my kitchen. Some of this I put together for our new worship leader. I love all the many ideas the Lord gives you! Love you!