Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bacon grease

A while back the manager of the store where my daughters work told me she would save some bacon grease for me if I wanted it. I said I sure do want it. Well time passed and I never got any bacon grease. I figured she had changed her mind. It wasn't that they didn't have any because they cook about 5 lbs. of bacon every three days or so. Well this evening I just happened to stop in the store as they were getting ready to take the grease out to the grease dump. I brought home at least 3 cups of bacon grease. I am excited to be able to use the bacon grease when I cook.

My husband has been out of town since Thursday morning and he just text ed me and said he is going to be gone at least until tomorrow. Bummer. He should be making good money working on the weekend and out of town. It will come in handy because we are saving up for a car. We pay cash as much as we can for our purchases and we don't have a credit card. As soon as we find a new to us car we will begin to save up for the next one so that by the time one is needed we have at least a good portion of the money needed already saved.

I brought home five laying hens from a friend of a friend we visited this weekend. I took the hens to the landlords house and put them in the chicken pen with her hens. Hopefully they will all integrate well there and we will be able to get fresh eggs whenever we need them. The lady said they are good layers she just had too many for her small hen yard. Also they couldn't sell them or eat the eggs fast enough to keep up. I will be bringing her a gift basket of my soaps and lotions when next I visit. I am quite grateful that even though I am not able to have laying hens I had this opportunity to give some to my land lord and will still have fresh eggs.

Tomorrow I plan to get back to sewing, I have not sewn at all last week except to mend jeans for Jeff and one of the girls. I enjoy sewing, especially the crafty items that I make. The little aprons I make from jean pant legs are really quite cute. I also need to get busy making a new cover for Kastyn's high chair. We will be seeing her in March and she will probably be ready to use it.

1 comment:

loves2spin said...

I am very happy that you were able to get chickens and find housing for them. What a great idea!