Friday, January 28, 2011

Essential Oils

Now that I make so many products and household cleaners and hygiene products with essential oils it seems like our house always smells so good.

Last evening while we were watching a movie I kept smelling peppermint. Later the girls said they smelled peppermint too. I do love the smell. In this case I think it was from the homemade mouth wash.

Today I am going to start looking for a metal tray type thing to put in my freezer for an ice tray. We buy our ice and need a tray/container of some type to keep it in in the freezer. I don't like to leave it in the bag because it gets all over the freezer. We are using a plastic shoe box but it now has a hole in it and I know if I buy another one it will just break as well. I was trying to thing what we could use instead and came up with the idea of using something metal. I have seen rectangular shaped metal container thingies so that is what I will begin looking for.

I am thankful we have had a mild winter so far this year. I don't think I want to experience snow for days on end in our current situation.

I am thankful for our RV home. I love living here and except that there is no room to have company it meets all my needs. I guess we will just have to save having people over for nice weather when we can be outside. I think if we lived in an old icky RV I might have other feelings but our 5th wheel is only a couple of years old and very nice. I love the oak woodwork and try to keep fingerprints and drips cleaned up so it looks nice all the time.

I have narrowed the amount of cooking utensils and vessels so I am not overcrowded. The hard thing here is lack of counter space. I cope by always having the dishes washed and put away and cleaning up after one project before another one is started.

It seems like this little RV gets very dusty though. I wonder if its just as dusty as the big house or is it really dustier here and we just notice it more because its a smaller space? Housekeeping is definitely easier.

One thing I am wondering how it will work is canning. I will be finding the answer to that question soon because I will be canning the bacon I ordered. At one point I was thinking of cutting back on my canned goods and going heavier on the dehydrated and freeze dried foods for weight reasons but home canned meat is just so superior I have to continue with that if not fruits and vegetables as well. I have a feeling I will continue to can everything because I like to can and because home canned food is so much better in so many ways.

I did notice that chicken was not near as cheap in January of this year as it was last year. This year the cheapest I have seen boneless, skinless chicken breasts if $1.77 a pound. Last year I paid .77 cents a pound for it. I am glad I canned 110 pints last year.

Jeff also order me some pork butt so I will be canning that as well. I will probably cut it into chunks and can it plain like that. Last time I canned pork butt I canned it as pork chili which we love, but this time I think I will can just the chunks so it can be used for bar b que or pork chili or whatever.

Well I hope you all have a great day. Its going to be nice weather here and our Sunday school class is having a get together. Yeah.

No comments: