Saturday, January 1, 2011

New years day at the Olson's

Last evening we spent time at church fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ. It was great fun but ended too soon. We had a rousing game of domino's going and we had to cut it way short to enter the sanctuary and pray for the new year.

This morning we got up early for having stayed up late and the first thing I did was get a batch of rolls started. We have friends coming for an early lunch so I knew I needed (kneaded) to get the rolls started first thing. We are having chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes and rolls.

As I was forming the rolls I got to thinking about how my neighbor had grown and harvested the wheat these rolls were made from. He gave me the wheat, I cleaned it and ground it and now was making rolls with it. I was thinking how not too many people now days know where their bread came from or if they make their own bread even where the wheat came from. It felt good to know that a large part of our meal was from my own hands. The chicken is some I canned last January. I did not make the noodles but I do know how to, nor did I grow the potatoes. I guess the meal is about half and half.

I have learned that I can cook just about anything here in the RV. I just have to use smaller baking pans and clean up and put things away all the time. No leaving things out at all. I am anxious to try canning in this small space. I am sure that will be a challenge. I am pretty sure I wont be able to have more than one canner going at a time. I usually like to have two going to make it go twice as fast.

No comments: