Monday, July 13, 2009

Dehydrating hamburger

It worked finally. I had written before that I couldn't get the hamburger dry enough. Yesterday I watched a video on you tube and instead of the oven they used the dehydrator. I tried that with the hamburger that I had already tried drying and had given up and put in the freezer. It works. I will now dry the rest of the hamburger and package it with my food saver thingy.
One thing I have learned about the food saver is that its not the vacuum machine that is necessarily bad but the bags. When I get a chance I will order bags that are 3ml. thick or more. The stuff you buy at Wal Mart is much thinner.

I really am loving the dehydrating thing. Now that I know you have to really get the food dry, at least 95% of the moisture out. I know it will last much longer in the dehydrated stage. It takes up significantly less storage space. I like that.

One great tip I learned from the dehydrate2store site (Tammy's dehydrating site on my sidebar) is to put a spray top on my lemon juice so I can spray the food that needs it instead of pouring it into a bowl. I think this saves lemon juice and you are able to cover the food thoroughly as needed.

No comments: