Monday, September 20, 2010

Eccentric~who me?

Today two people called me eccentric. I always thought of an eccentric as sort of a hoarder type person. Not something I would necessarily want to be called. I looked it up and I think I might like being an eccentric. Here is what wickipedia says:

Eccentricity is often associated with genius, intellectual giftedness, or creativity. The individual's eccentric behavior is perceived to be the outward expression of his or her unique intelligence or creative impulse.[1] In this vein, the eccentric's habits are incomprehensible not because they are illogical or the result of madness, but because they stem from a mind so original that it cannot be conformed to societal norms. English Utilitarian thinker John Stuart Mill wrote that "the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigour, and moral courage which it contained",[2] and mourned a lack of eccentricity as "the chief danger of the time".[3]Edith Sitwell wrote that eccentricity is "often a kind of innocent pride", also saying that geniuses and aristocrats are called eccentrics because "they are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd."

What do you think from reading this blog? Am I an eccentric?

4 comments:

Beverly said...

Yes, you are and I hope I am too!

Yolanda said...

Yep!

Autumn said...

I would think that everyone would want to be eccentric by the definition you gave here.

debbieo said...

Autumn,
Thats the only reason I decided it was ok to be thought of as eccentric.