Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Will it ever end?

Just about the time I think I have a good handle on this moving thing, I remember a closet, or something that needs gone through. I just have to remind myself that I do have several rooms completely done and several more almost done.

I suppose its good that I have the time to sort and toss and not just box everything up, so I am thankful for that.
I am just so ready to be done with this.

Advice to everyone. De clutter NOW, do it all your life. Don't wait for an occasion such as mine or leave it for your kids to do. Even if you take one room at a time and it takes a month or two to do it, just do it. It will never get done until you start. Don't wait until you have a deadline. I just keep thinking how easy it will be for my daughters when Jeff and I die. Not that we are planning to die any time soon, but you just never know. If I can refrain from becoming a collector again they could conceivably sort through our stuff on a weekend or two.

I have a lifetime of habits to retrain myself of. I am a consumer and have been a consumer for years. I shop, I buy, I have. Now I will have very little space to store things and I hope to retrain myself to really think hard before I make a purchase.

Jeff came up with a good idea for our closet in the RV. The closet is somewhat hard to get to because you have to pretty much sit on the bed to access my side. His idea is to both of us use the same side of the closet and use the other side for clothing we wear less often. We can even box up our out of season clothes, like coats, long sleeve tops and such and store them in the storage trailer. I thought he had a great idea and we will implement it when we begin to move our clothing to the RV.

So far I have been unable to get my article to submit to Woodalls Camping magazine. I saved it and hope to figure out how to get it to submit. It would be great fun to write for a magazine now and then.

Yesterday a friend stopped by to visit and I showed her the storage trailer and then I showed her the RV. We sat on my new furniture and began to visit. She asked me if I would get a job once we moved. I asked why? She said she thought I might go crazy living all the time in such a small space. I explained to her that I plan to install a work bench in the storage trailer and make soap and other Pink Monkey Soap products out there. Right now I am not able to develop my product line or even get my products set up in retail markets because I am so busy. I plan to work my Pink Monkey like a job and develop a client base and add products so that even if and when we moved to another city I could still service my existing accounts via USPS or UPS. That is why I want to work hard on it here and now, so that I have some existing clients that will continue to want my products.

3 comments:

Beautifully Veiled said...

Debbie,
I have a friend who lives in a 5th wheel most of the time because her husband's job takes them all over the southeast, spending a year or so in different cities. They have a house that they come home to very rarely. He works 60-80 hous a week. It is only the 2 of them, but she does not at all go crazy. She organizes Bible study groups in the rv parks where they live. I cannot tell you how many people of all different socio-economic backgrounds and ages she has led to the Lord because of this freedom. So each new rv park is a new mission field for her.
Wherever you go, Pink Monkey Soaps can go to!!!
I'm enjoying your process, and it has indeed inspired me to start getting rid of the stuff. Before this, we've always moved about every 4 years. So now it is either time to move or get rid of things!!!
Blessings!
Linda

debbieo said...

Linda,
What does your friends husband do? That is kind of what Jeff wants to do. He would like to go somewhere and work for 6 to 9 months and then move somewhere else. Jeff is an electrical engineer, PLC engineer, controls engineer, and automation engineer.

Yolanda said...

I think Jeff's idea about your closet is nothing short of inspired! Obviously, a smart guy. Good advice about staying de-junked, by the way.