Thursday, June 25, 2009

Putting your eggs in more than one basket







Most financial advisers say to diversify and put your money in more than one type of investment.



The same is true about your food storage. If everything you have stocked up is in the freezer and the power goes out for an extended time, there goes your investment. And food is an investment. You can use food storage to save time and money. If everything you have stocked up is in canned goods and a tornado or earthquake happens, your jars may all break. Or perhaps you have limited space. What can you do then? Another way of storing food is to dehydrate. I came across a series of videos on you tube of a very knowledgeable lady showing and telling how to dehydrate and then use food.



I have done some dehydrating and even have three dehydrators I bought at garage sales. My first one was new I think. Anyway, I have dehydrated in the past potatoes, sweet peppers, mushrooms and apples.



After watching the videos I was inspired to dehydrate more food so today I am dehydrating corn, green beans, and peas. When they are done I have some bananas, yellow squash, and zucchini I am going to dehydrate.



One excellent tip the woman gave was to use a meat slicer to get consistent thickness in your slices as opposed to slicing by hand. I think this is an excellent tip.
The lady is working on a web site and here is the address. It is not up yet but you can bookmark it and come back later.http://www.dehydrate2store.com/
I also went to you tube videos and found some more videos by this lady and you could do the same thing.

No comments: