Friday, October 1, 2010

Paying down debt and paying it off

We are so excited that the house is paid off. No we don't own it anymore but the debt is gone for it. The business is also paid off. Now when we sell it we can use that money to pay other debts. Jeff just text me and said he paid the pick up off. Now our only debt is the credit card (shame on us) and the 5th wheel. We used the credit card last year when Jeff was out of work for 6 months, and racked up the bill on it.

In a few days when we are sure all the bills have come in we will pay a large chunk on the credit card. The load is lifting and it feels good.

Now to sell the business. A local lumber yard owner offered to put a note in his billing about the business being for sale and we took him up on it. That was so nice of him. I didn't even ask, he just offered.

As soon as the business sells we can pay off the rest of the credit card and the 5th wheel. Then we can call Dave Ramsey and scream that we are debt free. I cant wait.

In the mean time I will still be sorting and paring down. In a big house with lots of kitchen cabinets and drawers you don't even realize that you somehow have accumulated 5 vegetable peelers or 8 paring knives. I am going through and keeping the best of everything I have and I will sell the rest at the next Junk to Jewels sale which should be coming up soon.

The girls didn't want to part with any of their clothes when we moved. Now that they are settling into their room their minds are changing. Mollie said just yesterday that she is going to go through her clothes and get rid of some of them. I am going to do the same thing.

I have said this before and I will say it again. This has been a really good experience for us. We are learning to let go and to make decisions on what we really want and care about and what is just more stuff. I am pretty sure that I can live quite well with out 2 or 5 of everything.

One thing that has been interesting in this journey is my friends. Apparently I have friends just like me because nearly everything I said I didn't want and was going to donate to the thrift sale instead went into a friends car to be taken to their home. I really would rather have my friends have my stuff if they can use it as opposed to donating it if, so that was actually pleasing to me.

After watching some episodes of the show Hoarders my daughters would mumble under their breath (hoarder) each time I would hesitate on getting rid of something or did keep something. It got to be a joke with us. Then when I started giving stuff away to my friends they would mumble (enabler). At least we can laugh.

Yesterday I was sorting while I was waiting on it to be time to go close on the house and I asked Mollie to do something. She replied that she thinks I am addicted to work. I don't think I am, but I am addicted to order and getting things there.

Today we have to take a jaunt to Perryton, Tx. to pick up two cases of lye I ordered for my soap making and Jeff wants us to get the oil changed on his car while we are there. Then when we get back home I will continue my quest for order and cleanliness.

My friend K. has graciously let us use an empty storage shed she has to store things we will be taking to our daughter and/or selling at the Junk to Jewels sale. That is very handy to be able to take stuff over there and have it sorted into this goes to her and this is to sell and such piles. That is what I was doing while we were moving. I had piles for lots of my friends all over the place. I delivered and they picked up and it was great.

I think the family finally realized why I was so adamant on working on the move for two months and not waiting until the last minute. Mom does know a thing or three.

1 comment:

Yolanda said...

This is all very heartening. I am so happy for you!