Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday is laundry day

Yep its Monday again and time to wash. I have been reading old housekeeping books and they always washed on Monday. I always wondered why but now it seems I wash on Monday's too. But I wash at least one other day a week as well. I have read some old housekeeping books where they did wash more than once a week but it seems like they only did that if they had housekeeping help.

Last evening my mom called and said they were coming to visit. I was thrilled but it was already 4:00 and worried what their plans were. To go back home the same night or stay. I was hoping they had planned to stay. They hadn't but I talked them into it. We laughed, talked and had a great time and we all went to bed as soon as the super bowl was over. Then my folks got up at 2:30am and drove home. Mom was hoping getting home early would enable them to take their pills with out any repercussions. They are both diabetic and have other ills.

I told mom that from now on it would be a good idea if they are going out of town to bring along their medication and a change of clothes. I think mom had forgotten how far it is to my house. She said they wanted to see where we lived while we still lived here.

I asked mom if she had imagined a cramped icky living space and she said crammed yes but not icky. She liked the way we have the RV fixed up and how organized things are. She said it was now very easy to see how we can live here and be comfortable and happy and not crowded and cramped. She said she wished I could spend a few days organizing and fixing up their new camper.

I got to thinking about how I am like my mom. I have a lot of the same ideas and dreams as she has had. She saw some realized and I have seen others realized. I am going to list some of the ways I am like my mom.

1. we both love to can food
2. we both love to garden
3. we both are do it yourself kind of gals
4. we both are industrious
5. we both like the old days
6. we both like the farm life
7. we both love farm fresh eggs. (who doesn't)
8. we both sew and crochet
9. we are both good cooks
10. we both have a giving spirit
11. we both are creative
12. we look alike (and like her mom)
13. we are both able to make do when we need to
14. neither one of us is high maintenance
15. we both love our families
Wow, I bet I could think of many more things but I need to go wash the laundry. Are you like your mom? How so?

When mom called at 4 o'clock yesterday I got busy and made 4 batches of thieves oil and 6 batches of body whip. I packaged all the body whip but not the thieves oil. I sent quite a lot of product home with mom and we will be going to Dodge on Friday or Saturday so I will bring the products I didn't have time to make. Like sugar scrub.

My you all have a great day and I hope you get many things accomplished.

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

What a wonderful heritage you have from the women in your family! Yes, the older I get, the more I think I am so much like my mother. I don't think I have as many words to describe it though. But her work ethic, her frugality, her commitment to staying fit and healthy, her sense of humor... I miss her so much. By the way, I think the reason they always did laundry on Monday, was because they had not choice but to hang it up to dry, and if they hung it out on Monday, chances were better that the laundry would get dry before the next Sunday, which they kept sacred.

kscorrell said...

Let me know when you will be in Dodge and if you have time we'd love to have you over for dinner! Miss ya!