Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Rice cooker

This is the kind of rice cooker I have.


Do you have a rice cooker? I got one for my big birthday a few years ago and have used it ever since. I use it for much more than rice too.
For instance: A couple of years ago we went on a mission trip to a church in Kansas. I had no idea of the facilities (non existent) so I brought a few appliances I thought might be useful.
1. crock pot
2. rice cooker
3. griddle
I was not feeling really good physically so I offered to be the cook. I was sure I would not be able to do the physical labor that the others would be doing. I ended up making a wide variety of foods with the limited equipment available to me. I had what I brought, a table, and a bathroom with a small sink that only had cold water. One of the local church ladies furnished the dessert each day so that was a wonderful blessing.

If I were to do this again I would bring a dorm size refrigerator.

One day I decided to make chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes. I had brought along a few home canned foods (chicken) and bought the rest of the ingredients for our meals at the local grocery stores.

I used my rice cooker to make the chicken and noodles. It worked out very well.
Today I am making hamburger stroganoff in my rice cooker. The reason I am using my rice cooker is because the stove is busy with my huge canner.

To make the stroganoff I first crumbled the hamburger into the pot and added chopped fresh onion. When that was done cooking, one cycle of the rice cooker, I drained the grease from it and then put the noodles and water on to cook. When that gets done I will drain the noodles put the noodles and drained hamburger back into the pot and add a can of mushrooms, a can of cream of mushroom soup and some sour cream. I will turn the cooker on once again for a few minutes to heat up the soup and sauce then it will be ready to eat.

I am now wondering if I could cook a whole chicken in my rice cooker?
Have any of you used your rice cooker for more than rice? What did you cook in it?

2 comments:

Yolanda said...

Interesting! It never occured to me to use a rice cooker for anything else. I did have a nice one, but I gave it away because I used it so seldom and it took up space in the kitchen. I do love my crock pots though. You mention a "cycle." Mine would only turn off when the rice was done. Is yours not like that?

debbieo said...

Yolanda,
I couldnt think what to call it. Mine has cook and warm. When I put it on cook it cooks for about 15 or 20 min and then switches to warm. That is what I was trying to say.
Today I had it cook the hamburger then I had it cook the noodles and then I just had it keep it all warm and warm up the soups.