Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Carrot pulp bread

Jeff just made juice with carrots, apples, spinach, celery and beets. I asked him to save the pulp which just goes to the compost pile.
I then used the carrot mix pulp to make carrot cinnamon bread. I ended up having to add 1 1/2 c. water because it was so dry. Later Jeff said I should have added some of the juice he had made, oh well, next time.
The bread is in the oven for one hour. I will let you know how it worked out.
Of course I added Ezekiel flour and whole wheat flour along with the white flour.
If this bread is good then I may make some more to freeze for gifts or to use later.
Here is my recipe for two loaves.
Cinnamon Carrot Bread
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar (packed)
1 1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. Ezekiel flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. flour
4 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
4 eggs
1 t. salt
2 c. carrot pulp
1 t. real vanilla
1 1/2 c. water

I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top before baking.
Mix and divide into two greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min,
My verdict: I changed the baking time from one hour to 30-35 min. My bread was a tiny bit burned on the bottom. I like it but I may add more sugar and cinnamon next time. It is a keeper. I was a bit dry so adding some of the juice of the carrot may be just the ticket. Always experimenting. Let me know if what you think I should add to make it moister.

No comments: