Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Today I sterilized manure?????

I am sprouting wheat so I can grow it for wheat juicing. One of the places I read on how to do this said to sterilize my soil in the oven. I guess the potting soil I bought has a high percentage of manure in it so I now have sterilized manure if there is such a thing. Hannah filled my roaster with potting soil and we put it in the oven at 275 for an hour or so. The oven then smelled like manure. I thought oh great. When I went to cook my chicken tonight I was afraid it would still stink but luckily it didn't.
The seeds should be sprouting in a couple of days and then I will plant them in a big plastic tray I have. You don't really plant them as in cover them with soil you mainly just put them on top of the soil and they dig their roots down into a pretty complex system very quickly. You are suppose to be able to make three harvests from the wheat grass, that way you can get the next batch started in time so that there is not a long period between grass to harvest. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
I do love juicing. I like to drink a small glass of juice a few times a day. My counter has kefir, wheat berries sprouting, black beans soaking and kombucha making on it. I wish I had a cabinet where I could stow this so it didn't sit out on my counter.
Oh and there is oatmeal soaking in a pan on the stove for breakfast tomorrow. I am trying to remember to soak my grains. We had rice for supper and I didnt even think of soaking it so I still have some re-learning to do.

No comments: