Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dehydrating herbs and vegetables

I have an Excalibur dehydrator that I like to use to dehydrate herbs and vegetables. While I was at Sam's Club I bought two containers of freeze dried mushrooms at something like 4.37 each. I also bought two packages of sliced fresh mushrooms 2# each for $2.37 each. I wanted to see which was the better buy.
I dehydrated the fresh mushrooms and when they were completely dry there was 1/2 gallon jar completely full.
1.5oz looks like less than a quart size $4.37 It would take at least three of these to equal the amount I dehydrated. So for the same amount it would cost $13.11
1/2 gallon $4.76
It looks like dehydrating them my self is a far better deal. At about 1/3 the cost.

Today I put basil and fresh oregano in to dehydrate. My friend Glenda is the best gardener. She is wonderful with herbs and always shares with me. I sure appreciate it.

1 comment:

Captain Hook and Lady Crochet said...

I loved my excalibur so well...I got another one! Ebay special baby! WAYYYY cheaper!