Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Fathers Day

I am blessed to have two great dad's. I have my dad who adopted me when I was about two years old and is the only dad I had growing up. And then my step dad who never had children of his own but loves us like we were. Its kind of ironic that neither of my dad's are biological but both love me and my sisters like they were.
I had a biological dad who I met when I was 13 and never had any kind of relationship with, although I have gotten to know my two half sisters from him who I love very much.
I grew up with two sisters and also have two half sisters. Although my two sisters I grew up with are no relation to my other two half sisters. So with my mom and my biological dad I am an only child, I am a middle child with the two I grew up with and the oldest of my other two sisters. I could also be classified as the second oldest of five girls. Its kind of fun to think about that one.
Back to my dad's. While growing up I feel like I was blessed. My mom and dad were divorced when I was in 7th grade. Being an adopted daughter my dad could have quit me too, but he never did. To this day I am one of his daughters just as I have been from day one. Even his friends he grew up with have forgotten until they are reminded that I and my older sister were adopted. Its not important. We are family and always will be.
When I had my own third daughter almost 18 years ago, my mom married my step dad. He has been a blessing to our family ever since.
In my family I have always been grateful that we can always have family gatherings and not have to worry about who will be there, they all come and visit with each other and actually have concern for each other. I have always appreciated that. I know it is because they are mature and have some concern for the other and their place in the family.

Happy Fathers Day to all Fathers

2 comments:

Yolanda said...

Thank you for sharing this. Dad's are so special. I had 3. My first died when I was just little, then I was adopted by and aunt and uncle and then later in life my second mom remarried and I had such a nice step-dad. They were all so good to me. And then, of course, there is always my Father in Heaven. I am so blessed and you are too!

debbieo said...

Yes, Yolanda without my Father in heaven I could not have made it through my life. There have been many tough spots just like every one has and he has sent my comforter to be with me.