Monday, January 18, 2010

I sold some stone

I am pleased to say I sold some stone today. Its enough to pay next months payment and still have enough to build 4 more raised beds out front. I'm doing the happy dance. I have it all figured out how I want to build the beds out front.
I think it will be enough to buy two pieces of lattice too. Then I will have the front area the way I wanted it.
I will be growing edible flowers, cucumbers and squash in that area. Maybe even some loofa if I can get it going this year. I have the seeds already.
Next I will just have to make more money so I can build raised beds on the west side of the house. I don't think I will make any raised beds in the garden area this year unless something happens and I just have the money to do that.
I am excited to grow our food. I have lettuce and cilantro growing on the kitchen counter.

4 comments:

Page said...

Hi Debbie,
How much would it cost to send soap to England, UK please? I love your blog by the way it is just awesome.

Blessings
Page

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I found you blog from Candy's blog. How do you grow the lettuce on your kitchen counter? Forgive me, I have NO idea what I am doing gardenwise and I am trying to learn as fast as I can and everyone around thinks I am nuts because they can just get it at the store. Lettuce year round would be great.

Many Blessings :)
Ace

loves2spin said...

It is possible to have raised beds without actually building raised beds. Perhaps not as pleasing, but it works, nonetheless. Till your soil well, and then using a shovel and garden rake, heap the soil up onto long rows, level and smooth the tops and plant away! If you can gather up some mulch, like cardboard, newspapers, straw, hay, leaves, lay them down in the walking paths between your rows. Voila! Raised Beds!

debbieo said...

Ace,
I started my lettuce in the plastic shoe boxes you can buy at the dollar store. I just filled with soil and vermiculite and sprinkeled my seed over, covered it with a thin layer of soil. Watered it, put the lid on and sat it on my counter. I have lights under my top cabinets. When the seed started sprouting and sent little leaves up I took the top off the shoe box. I am now waiting for it to grow so I can harvest it as I want salad. I am hoping it works. I just try new things and some things work and some dont. I just keep trying.
Thanks for visiting.