Thursday, January 28, 2010

Using the correct word for the job

I made a post about how it bothers me when people mix up words like scrap and scrape. Then the very next post I made I mixed up weather and whether. Actually, this was one I didn't know about. I am glad Aunt Krissy pointed it out to me and gave me the definitions for both of them.
I decided to make this a lesson for my girls. I figured if I didnt know the correct usage of wether/weather/whether they might not either. I am going to have them look up and give the definition of the following words:
weather
wether
whether
scrap
scrape
affect
effect
clothe
clothes
cloth
Does anyone know of other words often misused? I am so happy to learn about the weather/whether/wether one.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

I thought of one after reading your previous post. I often see "lose" and "loose" used incorrectly. Someone will write, "I don't want to loose these small pieces."

debbieo said...

Thanks Bev,
I already had the girls working on this list and so am going to use your suggestion for next weeks list. I will keep trying to think of more words like this.
debbieo

Aunt Krissy said...

I had a whole post about words like that. I have a problem with too and to. Sow can be a female pig or planting a field or sewing. It's no wonder they say that English is hard to learn.

Yes, you do have a right to your opinion. I might just be over sensitive about spelling.