Monday, January 25, 2010

Kombucha

I was pouring a glass of kombucha to drink when I noticed a little baby scooby floating on the top. It was about 2 inches around, the size of the bottle. I had been watching a you tube clip about kefir and remembered that it was time to decant my kombucha and make more.
I have a friend who is part owner of a bar and she saves me the pretty bottles. I wash them and remove the labels and use them to hold spices or decanted kombucha, or tinctures or whatever I want. I can actually smell cigarette smoke on the bottles when I get them. I know that is weird but I like the pretty bottles and I think its better to reuse than to recycle.
I am trying to find recipes to use the kefir. I know how to make kefir smoothies thanks to Candy. Now I think I will try kefir ranch dressing.
I already use the kefir when I make bread or bread products.
We bought blueberries, strawberries and bananas which I will use to make smoothies. Candy makes smoothies with just honey and vanilla, I like to add more to them. I even want to try chocolate.

3 comments:

Yolanda said...

Check Dom's site for many ideas for using kefir.

sohnnenstrahl said...

Hi! We've been making kefir in our goat milk. The other day I noticed I hadn't used some store-bought heavy whipping cream that my husband had brought home. I thought, Why not? It made the most delicious sour cream ever. Now I know what to do when we get a cow! So I'm thinking, mix that new sour cream with onion powder and sea salt, and there's a veggie dip.

Dave and Tina Schmidt said...

What is Kefir?