Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Back to the old grind

We started making stone this morning at about 8am. We were finished with stone, did the chores and mowed the west yard by 9:30am. I mowed so it took me a little longer than that but it was good to get things done.

When the whether warms up we make stone and do our outside work early in the day to avoid the heat as much as possible.

I figure if we do stone and then mow some each day maybe we can keep on top of it. We are also cutting down on the area we mow this year. Its really silly to mow 9 or 10 acres all the time. I think we will just let a lot of it look wild this year and see how it looks. I would love to plant billions of native wild flowers in the front that borders the high way.

This evening we will do more planting since we didn't get it done this morning.

Here is an update on my stacked pot planters. The strawberries in the pots leaning to the south all died and the strawberries in the pots leaning north survived except two of them. I think the main reason was them being in such a windy area and not sheltered. The herbs by the back door seemed to fair better but they are in a more protected place. I may change the location next year for the strawberry plants.

In Alvin Tx. they plant their strawberries in October and the harvest in finished by the end of May. You just have to learn what works in your area. Our area is very very windy so plants do much better if placed in a greenhouse or a protected area. For this reason I am glad we built the raised beds close to the house and in the greenhouse.

I am trying to change the way I garden in that I used to plant and then I was done. This year I am trying to plant at intervals and continuously so that a longer fresher harvest may be had. I also have never planted a fall garden and that is something I want to do this year.

No comments: