Sunday, May 30, 2010

Make your own bias tape

http://creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy/2007/11/diy-version-of.html

I just found the neatest tutorial for making your own bias tape without the tube folder thingy. All you need is an iron, a long needle, an ironing board and fabric strips. Bias tape is so expensive and I can rarely find just the color I need, so I was very glad to find this tutorial. When I make my aprons I just hem the sides because bias tape is so pricey. Now I can use contrasting fabric to make my own bias tape and use it. Yeah.

2 comments:

Yolanda said...

That would certainly come in handy. Bias tape is not cheap! Also, to have a custom color.... :)

Ma said...

I always make bias tape with the fabric I'm using. I just cut a strip diagonally, about 1 inch wide. I don't even iron it, if it is just to finish collars or somewhere it won't be visible. So easy. I used to buy the bias tape, but it just occurred to me that I could just use the diagonally cut strip...when it's cut that way, it goes around the curves so well.
Have fun with your sewing projects!