Saturday, February 6, 2010

Building a seed starter shelf

I have figured how I want my seed starter shelves built. Kay loaned me a Cappers magazine that had a real nice unit that you can use for a book case when you are not sprouting. I wondered what I would do with my books for 3 months while I am sprouting so I am going a different route.
I am going to build simple shelves with 2X4's and plywood. I have some foil like insulation I am going to line the shelves with to reflect the light, I am going to make the foil wide enough to fold over the seeds until they germinate. At which time I will fold the foil back and expose the seedlings to light. My design will allow me to have 3 shelves with 3 shop lights. It will accommodate 12 trays of seedlings that each hold 72 for a total of 864 seedlings.
I figured this is enough for my first year. If this is something I find I want to do on a bigger basis I can build more shelves next year. I found one shop light at Wal Mart last evening for just under $10.00 plus two lights at $5.00 for a total of $15.00. The lumber to build my shelf unit will cost approximately $12.00 for the 2x4's and I already have some plywood for the tops so I wont count that. Three light sets is $45.00 so the unit will cost about $57.00.
If I can sell many of the seedlings I should be able to recoup my cost. I am growing organically.
I have made an estimate of how much I think I can earn. We will have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) said...

here is how i built my light

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gAGGdC0l9EA/S1YnNBro7zI/AAAAAAAAAHM/VONKd-s4Xio/s1600-h/GEDC1711.JPG

The white of the shelves reflect. I had no chain so I used Styrofoam (you can get it as insulation @ hardware store) to prop the plants close to the top.as they grow larger I will just adjust and remove pieces of foam.

I leave the light on 24/7 to help them grow better. My light too came from the wall-world for 10$ ea. The shelves I found by a dumpster some years ago they look like old speaker boxes that had been nailed togather. :)

http://seedtoseed.blogspot.com/ This website is still new but it documents the cost to profit of seeds. Its new but it updates every few days.

Anonymous said...

Well...I'm old :-) I've been starting seeds for many of my 54 years. Years ago, on my farm, I had two monster growing shelves built from wood. Now I live in an apartment and have a fantastic shelving unit from Sam's Club that I made into a seed starting unit.

http://wendyusuallywanders.wordpress.com/2009/03/01/seed-starting-shelf-components-ordered/

If you can swing the cost, get one of these. You can always start with a few lights and add more. From the looks of your already started seeds, you already need one this size!

This is waaaaaay more convenient, easier, lighter and more portable than wooden shelves. If you are going to do something for a long time, do it right to begin with and it will save you money and work down the road.

The first commenter is using what she has, which is admirable. There will be several problems, though...not enough light, not enough air circulation and probably moisture to contend with.

I LOVE my shelves!!! Expensive to begin, but soooooo worth it. The light fixtures are easily suspended and adjusted from the wire shelves. The stainless steel shelves and plastic liners do not rust or rot. Each shelf can hold 5 trays. So, you can do 25 regular greenhouse trays under 10 fixtures with 20 bulbs. If you want to add 5 more trays, lights can be suspended from the ceiling, using the top shelf to grow on.

After all plants were out of the house in spring, I stored the fixtures in an outside shed and used the shelf for food and kitchen storage :-)

My garden last year...
http://wendyusuallywanders.wordpress.com/my-adirondack-summer-and-garden/