Monday, February 1, 2010

Changing out the BOB's

It's time to change out the BOB's aka bug out bags. These are backpacks we fill with what we hope are three days worth of food and water. I try to change out the food and water every six months or so, so that in the event we do need to use them the food is still good. That way we can use the food and just replace it, thus no waste.

I am almost finished putting together the car tote. We have a bucket in the back of the pick up that has water and toilet paper and plastic bags and such. It is fine and doesn't need to be changed out.

I learned that a tote hopefully will work better than the large cooler I had packed before. It only had food in it. In my tote I have room to put blankets, more water and two alcohol stoves. If I knew where to get some clean metal quart paint cans I would have even more room.

I would like to find a small grate to put over the stoves and a small pan to use to cook with if desired. I will keep my eyes open at the thrift store.

If you have a BOB be sure you change out the food at least once a year, twice is better. Also I found out that I need to put everything in zip locks and then put them in the tote or cooler. The napkins were filthy and unusable as were the paper towels.

I purchased some of those larger bags at the dollar tree for one dollar so I am going to put the paper towels and napkins in one of those first, then into the tote.

2 comments:

loves2spin said...

Good for you! We have "BOBs" too! Only I never hear that cute name. We call them "72 - hour kits." Boring. I have them in back packs and next to each one is a gallon jug of water to grab. I change the food once a year. I am glad you are prepared so you can "Bug out!" :)

debbieo said...

One thing I learned to do right away was to put large black trash bags over the backpacks. They hang in the stairwell to the basement which is connected to the garage and we make stone so it gets really dusty and dirty there. This helps keep them a bit cleaner and not so icky. I just poke a hole and slip the hanging strap thru and then hang the bag up.
I am glad you have BOB's too.