Friday, February 19, 2010

Gilbert

I attended first grade in 1963-1964 in Hays, Kansas. In my class was a little boy named Gilbert. I liked Gilbert. Gilbert liked me. We used to chase each other around the jungle gym at recess.
In December my birthday came around so mom had a class birthday party for me at our house. Every kid was invited and every kid came. It was an unseasonable warm year because I remember we ate outside.
Later in the spring Gilbert had a birthday. He too invited every kid in the class. We were going out of town but I convinced mom and dad to let me take Gilbert his gift first.
Gilbert lived in a big old apartment building. It was on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak. When we arrived we were packed and loaded into the car and I was to run in and give Gilbert my gift and go so we could get on the road.
When I got into Gilbert's apartment he was sitting on an ottoman crying. The party should have been well under way but there were no kids there. I guess their parents wouldn't let them come because Gilbert's family was poor. I went out and told my parents. They let me go back inside and play with Gilbert for about half an hour. I will never forget how hurt Gilbert was. I felt bad because every kid came to my party. It wasn't fair.
That was a great lesson to me I have never forgotten. It is also a lesson I have taught every one of my children.
Do not judge a person by where they live or their income. Judge them by their hearts and mouths and actions.
Say it together girls. Just because a person is poor doesn't make them a bad person.

I have thought of Gilbert through the years and prayed for him. I have always wondered how his life turned out. I have always prayed for his happiness and that he overcame the obstacles set before him.
Gilbert I hope you are happy and that you know the Lord.

2 comments:

Yolanda said...

That is so sad. And bless you for being Gilbert's friend. If you know his last name, you might be able to find him on facebook.

debbieo said...

That's the trouble, I dont remember his last name. I do have a picture of our class with the school name and teachers name so when I come across it again I may write to the school to see what I can find out.