Monday, April 12, 2010

Amish friendship bread variation

A few weeks ago a friend gave me two bags of Amish friendship bread starter. I have had this before and love it. I don't follow the directions as stated because I don't want to have to find people to give extra starter to.

Here is how I keep it manageable for me. I combined the two starters. The recipe says to add 1 1/2 cups of flour, sugar and milk every 5 days. I don't need that much starter so I just add 1/2 cup or so of each every five days. I try to use it about once a week. I don't worry about following the schedule on the recipe as long as I feed it every five days and use it once a week or so.

Today I am making pumpkin friendship bread. I always double the recipe and make two large loaves. For the pumpkin bread I added nutmeg about 1/2 tsp. and about 1/2 tsp. ground cloves. Also instead of white sugar I used part brown sugar. Added a can of pumpkin and left out the pudding.

After I filled the loaf pans I generously sprinkled cinnamon/sugar over the tops of the batter.
I will bake this about 1 and 1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. I let them rest on a cooling rack for about 10 min. then I turn them out of the pan.

After the loaves are completely cooled, I store them in old bread bags or zip locks.
My husband loves to take a slice or two to work for break time.

Another variation I like to use is to use banana pudding and use older bananas that need used or thrown away.

No comments: